0161 224 3044
07768 905 999

Finding a replacement tenant – Guide

Welcome to Central Properties guide on finding a replacement tenant.

Please understand that you cannot simply say; I’m leaving the house on???? And I will be cancelling my future rent payments. THERE IS A PROCEDURE THAT YOU MUST FOLLOW!

For those tenants who wish to terminate their tenancy agreement before the “FIXED TERM” of their tenancy agreement has expired, this can only be done with the landlord’s permission and this will usually involve the signing of a new tenancy contract with a suitable replacement tenant and guarantor.


1) You need to formally write a letter/email to your Landlord to clearly state your intentions that you wish to surrender your tenancy. Please state the date you would like to end your tenancy on and your reason for doing so.

2) Your “FIXED TERM” ends on the date specified in your Tenancy Agreement (so read your tenancy agreement)

3) A suitable replacement tenant is a person/s who the landlord has deemed to be acceptable after an application process has been completed. This can involve obtaining references, credit checks, suitable guarantor, and having a “Right to rent in England”. Under no circumstances must you let a replacement tenant into the property before they have signed a new tenancy agreement and do not give them any keys to the property.

4) If you have taken the property as part of a “GROUP TENANCY AGREEMENT” then you will also need to make sure that the rest of your group are happy to sign a new tenancy agreement as they will be signing this new tenancy agreement with this new person/s. The new tenancy agreement will mean that all persons who sign the agreement will be “jointly & severally liable” for all costs associated with that tenancy. For this reason, it is necessary and advisable that the existing tenants actually meet and talk to any prospective tenant/s.

5) Please note that all property viewings will have to be carried out by the existing tenants or the person/s who wish to leave the tenancy agreement. The landlord will not be carrying out these viewings as it is your responsibility.

6) Can existing co tenants of a group tenancy agreement please be aware that it is in your interests to HELP TO FIND a suitable replacement tenant for the person/s who are leaving your group tenancy agreement, as each one of you are currently liable for any unpaid rent or tenancy charges from the person/s who wish to leave your tenancy agreement. Please do not assume that the landlord will pursue only the debtors guarantor for unpaid debts, the landlord will pursue ALL TENANTS & RELEVANT GUARANTORS.  You can refuse prospective tenants that are put forward to you from the exiting tenant but you must be reasonable in your decision as to why. If you are a student you may want to contact the Manchester Student Homes for advice.

7) When a tenant/s of a group tenancy agreement, wishes to leave the tenancy contract it is advisable for all of the tenants to hold a house meeting where everybody is present so that you can discuss as a group, how each of you intends to find a suitable replacement tenant.

8) If the person/s who are leaving the property will not co-operate with the exit procedure for their tenancy then the remaining tenants will need to seek legal advice about how to proceed, they may need to get a statutory declaration signed from a solicitor to prove that they have taken all reasonable steps to communicate with the exiting none “co-operative tenant”. Student tenants are advised to contact the Manchester Student Homes. msh.man.ac.uk

9) Please check how any new tenant will affect the council tax charges for your property.

10) Please let the Landlord know in writing, as soon as possible if a tenant/s wishes to leave the tenancy agreement as we can start to re advertise the property or spare room to prospective tenants who contact us. We have lots of people contacting us all the time and quite often from our own let properties. We will also offer you guidance on how to re advertise your property/room and will provide you with a list of places to advertise.

11) New tenants that are acceptable to the landlord will have to provide a suitable guarantor and signed guarantor form. The new tenant will also have to pay a security deposit and this amount is listed in your tenancy agreement. Make sure that the new tenant/s fully understand the cost of the deposit and when it will need to be paid. Explain to the new tenants about the need for a suitable guarantor and the fact that they will be signing into a group tenancy agreement for a new fixed period and that they will be jointly and severally liable for all debts with co tenants.

12) The share of the group deposit for the person/s that are leaving the tenancy will be returned after the new tenant/s deposit has been received.


The following information will offer some useful pointers of where to place advertisements:

1) Make sure to tell your friends/class room students as this kind of word of mouth advertising is free and very effective. Quite often other student friends will want to move property for lots of varying reasons and this could be beneficial to both parties. A quick post on your Facebook page that your friends can share will useful.

2) Put advertisements up inside your university and on the notice boards you are allowed to use.

3) Place an advert with the Manchester Student Homes on their property website. (Make sure to tell them that you are a student)

www.msh.man.ac.uk Telephone: 0161 275 7680

4) Advertise on the student internet notice board of the Manchester Student Homes website msh.man.ac.uk

5) Advertise on various student websites, such as Accommodation For Students. accommodationforstudents.com

6) Advertise on manchester.gumtree.com

7) Place adverts in various newsagents’ windows in Fallowfield and Withington. (It is advisable to put adverts for up to 5 weeks at a time).

8) Homes4U Accommodation Agency (Manchester) homes4u.co.uk    0161-236 0202

9) Homes4U Accommodation Agency (Withington) homes4u.co.uk    0161-448 0090

10) Phillip James Partnership  phillipjames.co.uk    0161-434 5007

Copyright 2019, All rights reserved